Hydraulic investigation for emergent rigid and flexible vegetation
- Tomasz Tymiński,
- Tomasz Kałuża
Apart from hydrodynamic parameters, the influence of vegetation on flow conditions greatly depends on the plants species, plants development phase and geometric and mechanical properties. Amongst other mechanical properties, the key role is played by the flexibility (elasticity) of plants. This parameter makes the plants bend, to various degrees, under the force of flowing water. Its determination, in particular for flexible vegetation of the inter embankment zone, is crucial for forecasting the behaviour of vegetation and determining the hydrodynamic drag forces resulting from vegetation. This is also directly linked to the water table in the channel. Laboratory model investigation has been carried out on biomechanical and hydraulic properties of rigid and flexible vegetation covering river valleys. Measurements of flow conditions (amongst others: flow velocity distribution, water swelling and flow resistance of vegetation zone) were conducted in a hydraulic flume for branches of willow (Salix purpurea L.), flexible plastic rods and rigid steel rods. Results of measurements of hydraulic parameters for the investigated clusters of artificial rigid vegetation, artificial flexible vegetation and natural purple willow branches were analysed. The MEJ parameter (incl. the modulus of elasticity E) was used as a mechanical properties criterion of those vegetation clusters. The MEJ parameter can be used as a criterion to classify vegetation, for example in natural river regulation. It can also be used to determine the influence that a given type of vegetation and biological arrangement have on river dynamics. Lastly, results of research on mechanical properties of plants and theirs impact on hydraulic flow conditions could prove useful in design of hydro-engineering proecological structures.
- Record ID
- Publication type
- Publication size in sheets
- Jóźwiakowski Krzysztof, Krzysztof Jóźwiakowski Listosz Agnieszka, Agnieszka Listosz Kowalczyk-Juśko Alina Alina Kowalczyk-Juśko (eds.): Book of Abstracts. The First International Scientific Conference "Ecological and Environmental Engineering", 2018, Lublin, Perfekta info, 171 p., ISBN 978-8363657-99-4
- Keywords in English
- rivers, flow conditions, vegetation stiffness, river regulation, flood prevention, ecological engineering
- Internal identifier
- (en) English
- Score (nominal)
- Uniform Resource Identifier
* presented citation count is obtained through Internet information analysis and it is close to the number calculated by the Publish or PerishOpening in a new tab system.